| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details from the latest books.
Telepathy is the ability to hear another's thoughts. The ability usually manifests on its own, but it can be forcefully triggered. It usually develops around twelve, but Sophie Foster's telepathy was triggered at age five, due to the Black Swan. A pair of Telepaths, referred to as Cognates, that have formed a deep connection can achieve things a single telepath cannot. A Cognate bond requires sharing all of your secrets and an extreme level of trust in the other person. Cognates are typically very powerful together. Telepathy is considered to be one of the most important special abilities in the Elvin world, most likely because it's rare and powerful. There are many rules that come with telepathy, such as not entering another's mind without permission. Telepaths are also known to be better at certain skills because those skills require strength from the mind.
- Hearing broadcasted thoughts.
- Breaking into other elves' minds (not allowed unless the Telepath is on an assignment from the Council)
- Pinpointing other Elves' locations by tracking their thoughts (though Sophie can track to the exact location)
- Communicating with animals (though only Sophie Foster can do this)
- Performing memory breaks (destroying someone's sanity in order to learn what their mind is hiding)
- Acting as a guide for the Telepath preforming the memory breaks
- Healing a broken mind (only Sophie Foster can do this)
- Transmitting to people (Sophie Foster can transmit very long distances)
- Being able to erase memories (Only washers can do this)
Known Telepath-Specific Jobs Edit
- Probe- Someone who searches through another's memories
- Keeper-Someone who, after extensive training, keeps important secrets, in their mind.
- Washer- Someone who has the ability to erase memories.
- Sophie Foster
- Fitz Vacker
- Alden Vacker
- Tiergan (Granite)
- Magnate Leto Kerlof
- Quinlin Sonden
- Mr. Forkle
- Sir Astin